Job Summary: The Director, Policy, Research & Advocacy—State and Local (DPRA)will lead the development and execution of Cinnaire’s state and local policy agenda throughout Cinnaire’s footprint and coordinate Cinnaire’s efforts to engage government officials to build support for public policies that benefit the communities Cinnaire serves.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drives strategically valuable engagements with key agencies, policymakers, and trade associations at the state and local levels, especially in Midwest markets.
- Working with Cinnaire’s leadership, develops Cinnaire’s public policy agenda for footprint states, identifying emerging issues and initiatives that would benefit from enhanced engagement with public sector stakeholders.
- Creates and maintains contacts with legislative offices and regulatory agencies to communicate the impact of Cinnaire’s work and influence public policy discussions affecting affordable housing and community development.
- Works with the Business Development team to enhance relationships with Housing Finance Agencies (HFAs) in Cinnaire’s footprint to build stronger partnerships and understand HFAs’ public policy objectives.
- Increases Cinnaire’s level of participation with state and local trade associations to advance state and local policy agendas that help advance Cinnaire’s work.
- Crafts Cinnaire’s positions on state and local policy issues as appropriate.
- Working with Cinnaire’s Strategic Communications team, develops tools necessary to communicate Cinnaire’s impact at the state and local levels.
- Effectively communicates Cinnaire’s policy priorities and positions to state and local entities.
- Monitors and researches state and local policy developments relevant to Cinnaire’s business lines and provides updates to the appropriate Cinnaire teams on state and local policy issues affecting Cinnaire and the communities it serves.
- Represents Cinnaire at conferences and events as needed.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Five+ years of experience working in government relations, public policy, and advocacy at the state or federal levels, preferably in affordable housing and community development policy
- Bachelor’s degree or advanced degree in public policy, economic, business or related area, or commensurate experience in public policy and advocacy
- Experience advancing public policy agendas, working with coalitions, and building consensus, preferably in the Midwest region
- Advanced writing and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex issues and topics
- Demonstrated understanding of government relations and ability to build and maintain relationships with elected and public officials and their staffs
- Demonstrated experience in researching emerging issues in affordable housing and community development policy and their impact
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate effectively with diverse constituents and across all levels and functions of the organization.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite
- Superior strategy skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Analysis to Synthesis: Interprets data and information from multiple sources and translates it into coherent messages that inform decisions.
- Intellectual Agility: Can flex and adapt thinking skills to meet the needs of different situations and circumstances. Doesn’t limit problem solving to one approach or methodology.
- Insight to Action: Acts on conviction and advances from concept to implementation toward a goal. Draws upon knowledge and professional judgement to orchestrate the steps required to get results.
- Big Picture Perspective: Seeing beyond a specific business area and considering the broader strategic initiatives of the organization.
- Diversity Awareness: Identifies the benefits and advantages of harnessing the collective insights from various individuals in the organization.
Reporting Relationship: Reports to Senior Vice President for Policy, Research and Advocacy
Supervisory Relationship: None
- Ability to work on a computer for extended periods of time.
Travel Required: 25 – 30%Apply